Thursday, September 1, 2011

A Vintage Quilt

Click to enlarge
My BFF asked me to alter a vintage quilt for her. The quilt originally had only a top and a backing. No batting had ever been put into the quilt. Actually, I like the idea of doing that for a summer spread. But, she wanted batting. I love this quilt. It has appliqued butterflies. The body of the butterflies are stitched in a satin stitch with black embroidery. The atennae and around each butterfly is hand-stitched in black embroidery thread, too. We think some of the fabric was from flour sacks. It was made for her long ago by a friend's mother.

Click to enlarge

BFF's thinking (she does not sew) was that I could simply put in a layer of batting and a new backing and catch everything in the seams. I knew that with one washing, all the batting would be in a wad. So, after I made the top, batting, and backing sanwich....I machine stitched around every square. This also reduced some of the strain on the loose weave of the mint green sashing strips.


One thing I love about my BFF is that she is not picky. So, I could use this project to practice for my own quilts. I really enjoyed learning to put on a double-fold binding with mitered corners. She said, " I don't care if the binding even matches." Big mistake! LOL I had a jelly roll of green fabrics. While BFF is not too fond of the MINTgreen of this quilt, green is actually her favorite color. I pulled out the lighter colors because I did not want too much contrast. I sewed them end to end and machine stitched to the quilt. I finished it off with hand stitching. I really do like the binding and thought it was quite FUN!

Click to enlarge.
Click to enlarge.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comments. They brighten my day.If you do not hear back from me, you should check to see if you are a no-reply blogger!