Friday, September 27, 2013

New Project

For a while now one of my quilty friends and I have wanted a good take-along project. A project to work on while watching late night TV with the hubby. Most important is to have a project to work on when we go to our guilds' Sit and Stitch. I've tried the English paper-pieced hexagons that seem to be so popular. They just did not hold my interest. My friend and I had both considered hand-piecing quilts. After all, that's the way quilts were first made. So, last week I was looking through some of my collection of quilting books. I came across an Australian magazine (Patchwork and Quilting) that I had been saving.

 I would have guessed I bought it 7 or 8 years ago. Nope, look at the date on the pull-out pattern section.
This is a beautiful issue. Aussie quilters are fantastic. I love the projects in this issue. The quilt that really caught my eye was the one pictured below called Triangles of the Past. It is made medallion-style. It begins with the center block and borders are added. The color variation of each border is what adds interest to the quilt. Plus, there is only one template except for the final 4 corners. And, yet, I still have a problem keeping up with one template. What is up with that! Do you have that problem?

Most of the quilts I make are light and bright with lots of white. But, this one is so different. I do have some black and rust fabrics in my stash. I have loads of creams and ivorys, oranges, grays and cream shirtings.
Because I didn't have many browns, apricots, or light blues, I talked my book club buds into a road trip to Bowling Green, KY for lunch, book discussion, and then drive another 14 miles to Whittle's fabrics. There are only 3 of us in the club and we have been meeting for lunch and book discussion monthly for 3 years. One friend is a novice quilter and the other loves road trips, so it wasn't a hard sell. It was a gorgeous Fall day! Perfect for stocking up on Fall colors.
Here is some of my new stash enhancement.
I bought some light blues, rusts, apricots, golds, and browns. A couple pieces may not work well. We will see. The quilt designer suggests you choose the fabrics as you go. And, she demonstrates the way to hand-piece the quilt. I started on it last night. I'll show my progress in a later post.

Sunday, September 8, 2013

Looming Deadlines

Do you work better with a deadline looming? I know I do. Lately it seems the projects are stacking up. Last year I started a Dresden plate quilt with 30's and 40's reproduction prints that I had collected for a long time. I sort of stalled out when I got to the center circles. Recently I pulled them out and I think I have finally mastered appliqueing them down. But, what pushed me to get going on this again was that I was asked to present a specialty ruler or tool at the October 1 quilt guild meeting. I decided on the Easy Dresden ruler. I am using the quilt pattern that was included in the package. The quilt was designed by Darlene Zimmerman who will be coming to our guild Fall 2014. For the presentation I am making the quilt in the size on the pattern. But, I have enough blocks to make it full sized later.
Today I have been adding the double sashing and cornerstones. Just have a little more to go.

I should have this flimsy ready to show by the end of today. Yes, I know that October is still a few weeks away. But, I joined a quilt challenge months ago and have I started it yet? No. And, when is this challenge due? Why, October 1, of course! LOL It has taken me a long time to decide what to do with the fat quarter I was given to work with. It is to be a wallhanging no less than 35" square or more than 45" square. Look at this piece of fabric.
Do you see why I have been so stumped for a design? I can add up to 5 other fabrics and it must include at least one pieced star. It's my first time to participate in a challenge. What was I thinking?

I also completed the Vintage Star bonus quilt top that was cut when I was helping my granddaughter make hers. I had hoped to quilt it last week-end, but it just didn't happen. You can read about her quilt here.

This past May one of my friends asked me to make her a table runner. She wanted dark green, purple, and blue. She loves butterflies, too. I found a pattern in an old Quilter's World magazine and used part of a lap quilt pattern. I decided to make a table topper. Then, I fell in love with it and besides (I told myself), it's too large for her table. I made her a runner using just 2 of the butterflies, plus sashings and borders. I forgot to take a photo of hers, but she loved it. The colors look so much richer in person. The butterflies and pinwheel cornerstones are made with batiks. The topper (or wallhanging) is pictured below, pin basted and ready to quilt. Guess I'm hoping for another deadline. Haha.